Monday, December 12, 2016

How to Make Bar Stool End-Tables

Okay, this is my favorite project that I have done in a while. I didn't actually have the heart to sell my finished end-tables and they are now sitting comfortably in my living room. I love them. They are perfect for sitting a drink or for pulling in front of the couch to use as a laptop stand. Yes, I am using one right now. They are so convenient!

Before diving head-first into this project, I want to warn you that this does take some time. Wrapping the shelves with twine was something that I never would have thought in a million years would have taken so dang long. But, it was worth it in the end. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm actually on the look out for cheap bar stools on rummage sites for this very reason.

So, here we go! Head-first! 




Materials
  • Sandpaper
  • 2 Disposable Paint Brushes
  • 2 High-quality Paint Brushes (Purdy)
  • Shellac Paint Primer
  • Valspar Paint Sample (any color)
  • Valspar Finishing Wax
  • 2-3 Rolls of Twine 
Instructions
  1. Sand, sand, and sand some more. Don't skip or skimp out on this step. The more you sand, the better result you will have in the end. Pieces that are not sanded enough, will begin to chip because the paint does not have a nice, rough surface to adhere to. Disclaimer: if you have an antique, please make sure you test it for lead paint before beginning this step.
  2. When you have finished sanding your bar stool, wipe it down with a wet washcloth and then let dry. 
  3. I use Shellac paint primer for most of my projects. I think it works the best; however, it will destroy any paint brush that it touches. This is why I keep stocked up on disposable paint brushes that I only use to prime my pieces. I gave my bar stools two light coats. Make sure you read the label on the can and are waiting the adequate amount of time between coats. you should also be in a well-ventilated area when applying the primer. 
  4. Now it's time to paint! I like to use the sample containers of Valspar. They are around $3 and contain more than enough paint. Just remember when painting, several light coats are always better than a few heavy coats. Remember, to read the can once again and give your bar stool enough time in between coats to dry.
  5. Waxing. If you read the can of wax, it will tell you to apply with a cloth. I have never liked the result from using a cloth, so I use a high-quality paint brush and apply 2-3 light (EXTREMELY LIGHT) coats. 
  6. Let your stand set for several days before beginning to wrap the shelves with twine. This way, you can make sure the paint is cured. 
Just remember that this is a long process. There is no reason to be impatient, or it will suck the fun right out of this project. Remember to always be in the moment and enjoy the time you spend working on your piece of furniture. I hope you enjoyed this blog and if you would like to see more of my furniture creations, comment below. I would also love to see some of your projects. 

3 comments:

  1. Nice job I like the idea of the twine. I was thinking of wood for mines!Pinterest lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What grade sand paper did you use for these bar stools?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was used to secure twine?

    ReplyDelete